Adam runs a small B&B in Herefordshire and is also a craftsman. His craft-related blog, The Craft Bench, can be seen here

Thursday 13 December 2012

BREAD

I don't often make bread - with the B&B business there's usually masses of brown or white sliced in the house.  However, at this time of year business is negligeable, so I set to the other day and made some bread.

I've 'discovered' Eichkorn flour (from  Doves Farm ) which is ground from a prehistoric variety of corn - very good it is too!   I'm really not into kneading bread, so I call this my 'No need to knead' loaf:

(I use small quantities, as it's only me eating it - multiply up if you need to)

250g  Eichkorn flour
50g  Buckwheat flakes (optional, in which case use 300g flour)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp quick yeast
1 Tbsp olive oil
200ml  warm water
(I also added a Tbsp of caraway seeds, cos I like 'em)

Put all the dry ingredients into a bowl, pour in the oil and then about half the water. Stir well until combined and add more water as you go until you get a sticky dough (not too stiff). You may need a little more, or a little less water.

Stir it up well, prodding it with a spoon generally moving it about the bowl (a little more oil helps) for just a couple of minutes. Set aside to rise, covered with a cloth.

When it's nicely risen (a couple of hours, depending on room temp) bash it down again with the spoon and prod, push about and fold the dough - again just for a minute or two - with a bit more oil to keep it from sticking to the sides of the bowl.

Set the oven to 160C

Grease a small loaf tin and scoop the dough into it. Cover loosely with oiled cling film, or grease-proof paper and set aside for another hour until risen.

Slap it in the oven and bake for about 40 minutes - until it sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from the oven and tip out to cool...


Sorry about the half picture... dunno what happened there!!


1 comment:

  1. The flour can be any bread flour you like and I often add rye-flakes. I also now generally set the oven to about 190C. Great with some dried fruit and mixed spice in it too.

    ReplyDelete